There’s something so fun about play dough! I remember sitting at the table for countless hours with the children I nannied for through my college years, cutting, molding, and just squishing the stuff through my fingers. It was kind of therapeutic! And guess what? This awesome play-dough recipe I made with essential oils can actually be therapeutic! My little one is a bit young for play-dough yet, but I look forward playing with it together when she is older!
There are a few different essential oils that are great for this play-dough recipe because they have some wonderful therapeutic properties. My friends use this recipe with lavender when their kids need a little wind-down time, or they might add orange if they’re having a cranky day to help with mood and attitude! A fun multi-sensory activity where they can touch and play, explore colors and discover new smells!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tsp cream of tartar (or alum)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- food coloring of choice
- essential oil of choice
Here are the combinations we did:
1. Lavender & purple
2. Lemon and yellow
3. orange and orange
4. We didn’t do this one, but green and gentle baby would be fun! Or what about blue and peace and calming? (Peppermint would be good too - energizing!)
1. In a saucepan mix together the flour, salt, cream of tartar over medium heat.
2. Add the food coloring to the water and stir until the color is evenly mixed in.
2. Then add the water/food coloring mixture and cooking oil to the pot. Stir while it cooks until a soft dough ball has formed.
3. Remove it from heat and knead the dough ball on the counter for about 30 seconds. Now poke about 6 holes in the ball with your pinky finger and add a drop of oil to each hole. Knead for about 10 seconds and repeat to add another 6 drops of oil.
Now play! Store in an airtight container.
I love that this activity can be fun for kids to do independently or with adults, and everyone benefits from the therapeutic benefits!!
I Want Oils! Where Can I Get Them?
You can learn how to start your oily journey with me here! I LOVE sharing oils with people and helping educate them about how to use them safely and appropriately, so I would be happy to help get you started!
Disclaimer: Essential oils are not FDA approved to cure, treat or diagnose. Statements made here are personal experiences and sole opinions and should not be construed nor substituted for a doctor's medical advice. Any decisions made personally on how to use essential oils are just that, a personal decision. Please take responsibility to gather information and make your own educated decision on how you can use oils to help you and your family.
How did your kids like this awesome all natural project? What other DIYs would you like to learn how to make with your kids? Let us know your thoughts by commenting on our Facebook page!